I have been going through a bit of cherry love recently.
Truthfully, the love is always there. But for some reason, it took me all summer to spring for them at the store. And then I couldn’t stop springing for them.
My favorite breakfast during last week was a pot of nonfat Greek yogurt, a packet of Truvia, a serving of fiber one original, and as many cherries as would fit in two handfuls.
And then I ran out of Greek yogurt, and realized I should work on the rest of the food in my kitchen instead of buying more.
~ ~ ~
Inspired by Ashley’s recipe (which I’m making her way this morning), I made a bowl of cherry vanilla almond oatmeal.
- 30 grams rolled oats [somewhere around 1/3 cup. i like to measure by weight, and that changes the liquid ratio.]
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added organic soymilk [any milk]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract; dash almond extract [a really small dash. mine was still a little bit much and made it taste off.]
- 1 tsp Splenda [or any sweetener, or none, to taste]
- gigantic cup of halved and pitted cherries
- combine oats, water, soymilk, extracts, and sweetener to taste.
- microwave on 50% power for 3 minutes. standard instructions ,which work perfectly for a full bowl of regular oatmeal, call for 5 minutes.
- half and pit cherries while oatmeal is cooking, to save time during 15 minute morning break. i really don’t mind this – take a knife around the middle of all the cherries [and a plastic butter knife at work was perfect.], twist them apart, and pop out the pit with your thumb nail. only one stained finger.
this allows for chewing & reading time at work.